Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Nike Windbreaker Critcal Mass = Death of Counterculture?

Okay, so here's a complete bite off BikeSnob's last posting, but the only reason I'm doing it is to illustrate a previous post of my own regarding hipster culture and particularly the trend of fixed gear bicycles and their involvement in the trend/anti-trend of the hipster-nation, death of counter-culture that is now upon us.

Nike Windrunner Ride L.A. from Veesh on Vimeo.
I find it hilarious that a bunch of "i don't like to use the word 'hipster' because, cause, uh..." types would knowingly engage is a shameless, Nike marketing promotion for, of all things a new windbreaker! Maybe it was really cool, maybe I'm wrong, and the only way anything cool/good happens is through corporate sponsorship. Are we all just selling out? I mean, I like certain brands just as much as the next guys, but c'mon, a Nike sponsored fixed gear critical mass? What's next a Hummer sponsored alleycat? See for yourself. And thanks to BikeSnobNYC for the tip off.

No comments: