Friday, May 13, 2005

Make a Plan

There's a line that Eric Stoltz has in a movie called Kicking and Screaming He says something like, "How do you make God laugh? ...Make a plan." I'm always reminded of this when something you thought was going to happen falls through. Sometimes it's a matter of miscalculation, sometimes it's more sinister. The worst is when you have that little voice in the back of your head telling you to pull the cord, but you follow through anyway, just to be disappointed. I don't want to ramble on too much, and if you haven't figured it out there is a reason behind this post. There is no fiction, only interpretation.
I just think that people have a hard time really being honest with one another. We're all trying so hard to make our lives' a sitcom, that sometimes we forget to shoot from the hip. And we're all guilty. Think about it next time you tell someone you might meet up with them later, or "yeah, that sounds good, I'll be there." At that very moment, you may have all the intention in the world, your plan has been made, but how often do you follow through? (yeah, i know i've got one foot on the soap box) It's just easier to play along, isn't it. Make people think that you have intentions? I'm not going to pretend that I know why that is, either. It just sorta happens that way most often. It's just easier to go with the flow, not to be the grumpy one that says otherwise.
I like to point the finger at media and technology (but then again I like to point the finger at this for just about everything.)
When was the last time you told someone you'd meet them at an exact time, that you made plans to meet more than a few hours in advance? If you have a cell phone, I bet it's been a while. "I'll call you when I get there...", "I'll give you a ring when I get done with this...", there's no accountability.
That said I guess I can let you in on the origin of this post. I got myself into what quickly became a fiasco the other day, something that could have been avoided on one hand if I hadn't left my phone at work and was able to check my messages. But on the other hand, if I had no phone at all the problem would have never arisen, because the plans would have been firm, not something you can just hit eject on a few hours before.
Yeah, I know...blah, blah, blah...who cares that i've got scheduling trouble, just get a f*@king palm pilot and be done with it. But that's just it...I don't want to!!
It's just that, sometimes I feel like the only one that's waiting for the giant EMP shockwave to hit and wipeout all the computer systems. I think it might pleasantly coincide with the death of oil and the resurgence of the bicycle as the predominent form of transportation.
Think about what you're getting yourself into when interact with another human being. And remind yourself next time you've been disappointed by something you thought was going to happen, that while your cell phone is flashing that little new voicemail button, that it might just be God laughing at your plans.

No comments: